I plagiarized some from my Sociology journal. It's okay. Not gonna get caught because everything is my very own word.
The charity that had been held on July 10th 2011 was the last group of Sociology students where we were assigned to teach almost 30 children at an orphanage in Kepong. My group gathered at Taylor’s Lakeside around 12.45 pm and we reached there around 2.00 pm. As our leader Syafeeq Asyraf briefed the whole group about our activity on that day, he then divided us according to the orphanages’ stage of ages. He also distributed the materials that we’ll be using during the teaching activity. I am so delighted to start the activity as I naturally adore kids. Hence, it wasn’t a big problem for me to handle their childish behavior, their excitement and their naughtiness.
The smartest kid
As I entered the orphanage, a feeling of sympathy conquered my emotions and mind as I saw the condition of the orphanage inside and outside. 30 orphans to stay in such a small house, with limited utensils and furniture. With a very unclean floor, some leftover foods were all over the place. But then, I saw a little girl age around 10 to 11 years old were sweeping the floor. I assumed because she has the feeling of respect toward the guests. After awhile, I saw one of the orphans brought in some used plates and rice pot to the kitchen.
The hardworking one
Peace yeawww
Put aside the difficulty of the orphans to endure their lives, we precede our teaching by distributing the materials that we have to every each one of them. In my case, I was teaching the pre-school level with my partner Syafeeq Asyraf. I’ve never experienced teaching young kids ABC nor 123, even though it was a real tough responsibility yet I was so happy seeing the orphans enjoyed my teaching. There are some really weak in their learning and the other are quite intelligent. There are some who are responsive and the others are so excited, even though they know learning addition and subtraction are such a pain in the ass. For that I believe the term of social mobility that is allowed by the class system, the movement of up or down of the class ladder. The potential for improving one’s life or for falling down the class ladder. Moreover, it is a major force that drives people to work hard to achieve success in life. I am grateful that these orphans have such a great effort with the hard work that they put on.
This boy is a smart one even though he is a bit slow in calculating. But later when By told me that he is 12, which supposed to be in Standard 6, I was a bit shocked and upset because his education level is still in pre-school level. But atleast, I see his effort. He might be slow, but he has the will. As the saying says, "When there's a will, there's a way."
She's cute, very cute and innocent. Now it's vice versa. She's only 6th years old, but she's smarter than her age should be. Well I assumed. She's the only one who can speak English. One of her friends said that she's a mixed blood girl (Chinese-Indian) It is quite obvious because she has a fairer skin to compare with the others. I don't know whether it's true or not and I don't have the authority to say that mixed blood people are smarter. Yeah they're normally have a better looking as known as appearance. But in term of intelligence, I did ask in my Psychology class last semester, my curiosity about the intelligence of mixed blood people, and then Mr Tarosh hit me with two words "That's Bullshit!"
They're so excited of taking pictures.
After the orphans were done with their tasks, we awarded them with candy. We finished the teaching too early than what had been scheduled. We came out with an idea to gather the kids and play some interesting games.
Frankly speaking, it was more difficult to handle them when it came to playing games rather than teaching. This was all because of the excitement that we created. Eventually, we managed to instruct them to play Musical chair by singing ABCDE.. until Z to stop.
The time shown 4.30 pm, and I noticed that some of the orphans were ready showered by their caretakers. While the others were still outside playing with each other. We just watched them while conversing about the patience of being a teacher, a caretaker of young children. What’s more when those who are known as an orphan. Living without a mother or a father, and only people just around their age as a replacement. Out of the blue, I heard a bell was ringing and for once, straight away all the orphans entered the house. And then I asked one of my group mates “What is that?” and he said, it’s a sign for them to gather. Every each one of them. I was so amazed with the situation, with their efficiency and obedience. This situation supports Gaetano Mosca’s argument where he mentioned that no society can exist unless it is organized. Leadership is needed in order to coordinate people’s actions. In this case, the owner of the house represents the leader of the house, and he has a few other helpers to manage the unlucky kids. They trained them to be submissive and hardworking.
They're twin brothers but not identical. My friend, Ain who went with the previous group before asked me to pass these two books to both of them. I felt so guilty with the others kids because they wanted these books so much. The cover page itself is so interesting right. But I managed to pass it to both of them before I left the orphanage while their other friends were busy playing at the other side.
Last but not least, I would like to end my journal by making an argument of the concept caste system. As what had been stated, caste system says that status is determined by birth and is lifelong. Someone who is born into a low-status group will always have low status, no matter how much that person may accomplish in life. Does it mean all these unfortunate kids will definitely stay poor as how they are living now, even though they go to school same like other middle-class people do, the efforts that they have, and even the determination as well as the high ambition that they set. Is it just a hopeless day-dream of some desperate unfortunate kids, or is it a normal expectation and goal that the kids’ right to pursue?
No comments:
Post a Comment